(Boulder) Community Spotlight Series #5: The Tea Spot (Brought to you by Natascha Lee Studios)

Community Spotlight! We are continuing to book spring sessions, and with the gorgeous weather lately we are really feeling the itch to get back outdoors and shoot! This week we take a look at an exciting business in Boulder, The Tea Spot with CEO Maria Uspenski. Maria describes herself as a mechanical engineer by background as well as a Cancer survivor. Cancer is actually what helped her discover the amazing health benefits of tea while in recovery. Through this experience being able to provide quality tea products and make them accessible became the inspiration behind The Tea Spot. Maria’s story is truly so inspirational that I could go on for days but to learn more click here. [caption id="attachment_3071" align="aligncenter" width="263"]Tea-Spot-CEO-263x “Loose leaf tea became an integral part of my own recovery and continues to be a key component of my daily health regimen. The simple act of preparing loose tea is likely just as therapeutic as the tea itself. It gives me great joy to be able to share this with others and I am continually inspired by the people who courageously and actively fight to survive.”
-Maria[/caption]  

Can you tell me about The Tea Spot?

We are a for-profit philanthropic business whose mission is to foster wellness by making loose leaf tea an everyday luxury.  That said, we approach the solution from 2 directions – by offering healthy, antioxidant-rich teas that people will find so delicious that they can’t HELP but keep drinking them; and by designing and manufacturing a line of housewares that make loose leaf tea EASY – this excited line is called STEEPWARE.

How did you decide to get into this business? – Any inspirations?

My inspiration is the drive to change American drinking habits (esp. those of young girls). I want to get them off unhealthy sugared, preserved beverages and on to healthy, fresh brewed teas.

the-teaspot-logo

Curious to what this loose and whole leaf tea is all about? Check out this amazing starter kit that really includes all you need to brew and steep your own tea! You can also purchase their tea in many locations in the area.

How does your business/product positively affect the community?

We benefit the community in two key ways – by introducing better teas, and through our 10% Pledge! The Tea Spot pledges 10% of all sales as in-kind donations to cancer wellness and community programs – predicting to give back $250,000 this year!

What is your favorite product that you offer at The Tea Spot?

It’s always the latest one I’ve been working on!  The new NEW thing… but there are many really.  The Steep & Go  which debuted last year, is picking up lots of traction internationally, and we’re looking to get US distribution on it this year.

Also most recently, I’ve been working on a line of certified organic teas which we’re getting into tins this year, and they will be launching in Whole Foods in the Colorado region as well as in Canada this Spring.  I’ve just loved working on that project.

Wondering about the difference between bagged tea and loose-leaf tea? Check out the explanation here!

What makes your business unique?

THE PEOPLE .  Everything else is secondary.  I know that good business practice always puts the customer first, and all my team does – with the 10% Pledge in mind – but for me, it’s ALL about the employees.  Each of our amazing products, each of our wonderful customers – they are ALL a reflection of the people at The Tea Spot.

Custom Tea and Yoga Coffee Mug by Natascha Lee Studios - Tea Art

Here at Natascha Lee Studios, we have tried their tea and it is truly wonderful! So tasty!  Our favorite is Boulder Blues!

To learn more about The Tea Spot you can visit them online!

]]>

Lafayette Community Spotlight Series #2 : Eats & Sweets in Olde Town Lafayette, Colorado (brought to you by Natascha Lee Studios)

Hello there! This is Brittany, Natascha’s assistant.

Another cold and chilly day in Boulder County! We are editing some lovely newborn portraits from a recent baby photography session, and will share them soon. Little newborn toes and fingers – can it get any cuter?

For now, we are bringing you the second installment of our Community Spotlight Series . Today we will be shining the light on Eats and Sweets owned by Bobby Pangilinan and his wife Gretchen, located in Ole Town Lafayette.

[caption id="attachment_2934" align="aligncenter" width="630"]Eats and Sweets in Old Town Lafayette, Colorado Eats and Sweets in Old Town Lafayette, Colorado[/caption]

Q: Bobby, tell us about your business?

A: Eats & Sweets is a local mom & pop sandwich/ice cream/dessert shop, I guess you can call it somewhat of a cafe.  We have big, awesome sandwiches and salads, homemade soups and quiche.  We bake all our desserts in house and offer gluten free options as well.  We proudly serve all natural Boulder Ice Cream and we are the home of the Banana Bread Ice Cream Sandwich, and the Best Cheesecake.  We always use fresh produce and use local/organic ingredients whenever possible. When baking our delicious desserts we use unbleached flour and organic cane sugar.  Our little shop has been merited with multiple awards, such as Best Sandwich, desserts, Best Bakery by Boulder Weekly in 2013, and most recently Cheap Eats.  We make quality food and serve it with a smile at a fair price!

Q: How did you decide to get into your business? – Any inspirations?

A: I have been in the business my whole life and my wife was an art therapist.  We found a great location and opened on a whim- thank God we are still around! My wife is now a dessert therapist. (Note from Brittany: How cool would that be! A Dessert Therapist!)

Q:  Were you prepared to take on the challenge of owning a small business?

A: I’d like to say yes, but there are new challenges every day that you are not prepared for.  But we were prepared to take a chance!

Q: How does Eats and Sweets positively affect the community?

A: We try to do as much possible for the community.   We give the local elementary school students a birthday cone, and offer the parents a great place to eat with their children where they know the products are fresh. In the summer we host a few free events that include our annual ice cream eating contest, called the Quick Lick and we also host Festival Flicks which is an outdoor cinema at Festival Plaza.  We try to do our part to make Old Town Lafayette a fun place to live and/or visit.

Q: In 2014, where do you see Eats and Sweets heading?

A: Hopefully upwards!  We have internal opportunities that will make our business run more efficiently.  We plan to introduce some new products as well! With Old Town Lafayette starting to pick up, we hope that we do to.

Q: What makes Eats and Sweets unique?

A:   Our people make our business unique.  We all try our best to give the community what it needs with a smile, and we hope that creates a reciprocating cycle.
  [caption id="attachment_2933" align="aligncenter" width="274"]Their Banana Bread Ice Cream Sandwich, Shakes and Sundaes helped win them the dessert category of Best of the West. - Photo by Eats & Sweets in old town lafayette Their Banana Bread Ice Cream Sandwich helped win them the dessert category of Best of the West.   – Photo by Eats & Sweets[/caption]

Stop in and check out their menu !  Be sure to try Natascha’s Favorite, their Best Cheesecake and their 20 rotating flavors of Boulder Ice CreamCheck out these cute local children and theirSweet Faces.

Visit Eats and Sweets at 401 S. Public Road, Lafayette, Colorado! Connect on Facebook or Eatsandsweets.biz

Do you have or know any small businesses that would like to be featured here?  Email us at CommunitySpotlight @ NataschaLeeStudios.com

We offer newborn, children and family photography to families in Lafayette, Westminster, Highland, Denver, Golden, Louisville, Broomfield, and Boulder.
]]>

Mother's Night Out Idea – from Broomfield, Colorado Baby, Children and Family Photographer Natascha Lee Studios

Today I’m highlighting a really fun idea for Mother’s Night out: Group Art Evening.

If you live down South (Littleton, Centennial, etc.), one really fun option is The Art Connection in Littleton, Colorado.

From Birgit, one of the owners:

Book your mother’s night out with The Art Connection. Get 8-10 mothers and book our studio for a fun night out. Bring your own wine (that’s right! You don’t have to buy wine from us – you can bring your own!) and food and enjoy the company of each other while creating a masterpiece. We will bring the artist our within each of you. You will create a 16X20 canvas with multi media materials. Each piece will be your own vision and inspiration on canvas, none will be the same.  You’ll leave with wonderful memories and a great piece of art!
The Art Connection in Littleton, Colorado
 ]]>

Every Mother Counts

I want to share this powerful film clip, and powerful, radical idea. Let’s all take a media break on May 13th, and join in solidarity.

Every Mother Counts

Every Mother Counts is an advocacy and mobilization campaign to increase education and support for maternal mortality reduction globally.

Every Mother Counts seeks to engage new audiences to better understand the challenges and the solutions while encouraging them to take action to improve the lives of girls and women worldwide.
[caption id="attachment_1232" align="aligncenter" width="180" caption="Photo courtesy of Every Mother Counts"][/caption] Every Mother Counts was founded by Christy Turlington Burns after the completion of her documentary debut, “No Woman, No Cry” which tells the personal stories of pregnant women and their caregivers in four countries as they try to avoid adding to these troubling statistics.

]]>

Now The Husband's Turn For Delighted Client Raves | Broomfield, Colorado Family Photography by Natascha Lee Studios

Remember the last post from Birgit? I’m thrilled to share the equally nice things her husband has to say:

I was initially hesitant to do a family photo session, especially a custom photography session which I know is considered the “Ritz Carlton” of family photography. When my wife showed me your website, I was duly impressed by the images featured there. However, I thought surely those were just the cream of the crop, the best images from your best sessions.

I’m pleased to say that the images you took of our family are equally outstanding. You somehow put my entire family at ease, you brought out the silly side in all of us, captured the deep love I have for my wife, the beauty of my daughter (and wife!), and the strong family ties we have for each other. Frankly, I was amazed at what an artist you are with your camera and I recommend Natascha Lee Studios enthusiastically.

Robin W. Littleton, Colorado

Want to read more from my delighted customers? You can see all my recent testimonials here.

Interested in booking your own family photo session for Fresh, Modern and Fun Lifestyle Family Portraits? Contact me!

]]>

New Client Raves for Broomfield, Colorado Baby Photography Natascha Lee Studios

This email put a big smile on my face:

Natascha, we are beyond thrilled with the family photos you took of us. As an artist myself, I knew that I wanted something special and unique for our family photos and you delivered. You were were so much fun to work with, and you really captured our family’s personality.

When I saw the photos, I was just blown away. These are images that I will cherish for my lifetime, and I can’t even tell you how much it means to me, to be able to have these gorgeous, artistic images for my daughter (and hopefully my grandchildren) to cherish as well.

Birgit W, Littleton, Colorado

Here is a photo from her family photo session held in Broomfield, Colorado. Next, I’ll post her husband’s email!

Testimonial for Broomfield, Colorado Family Photography Natascha Lee Studios

]]>