Yoga maternity photos combines two of my favorite types of photography. Here are 5 tips if you are into yoga (or dance), and considering Yoga or Dance maternity photos:
- Pick a photographer who has experience photographing both maternity and yoga or dance photos. They will understand best how to pose you. Bonus if they themselves are a former dancer or yoga teacher.
- Book your photographer for your 8th month of pregnancy, and plan to book about 3 months out – meaning, when you are 5 months pregnant. At about 8 months, you’ll have a big beautiful baby belly, but won’t be so far along that you may have to cancel because you are delivering!
- Discuss with your photographer the types of images you want. Indoor? Outdoor? Both? Posed? More natural and relaxed? Bare belly? How comfortable are you with moving and doing some yoga poses during the session?
- Bring a variety of clothing and accessories (like this super cool belt below).
- Treat yourself to a manicure and pedicure the day before your shoot. Your nails will look great, and it will relax you.
- Have fun! This is a great treat you are giving yourself, and your future baby who will LOVE to see photos of themselves in Mommy’s belly.
Denver Maternity Yoga Photographer
Like many Boulder Family photographers, I am just now getting around to blogging some of the wonderful sessions done last Fall.
Our Fall is typically so busy with clients looking to create family portraits to give as gifts, family portraits to use as holiday cards, and often, as in this case, those who just happen to be 8 months pregnant and want some artistic, amazing memory photos.
BTW, if you have a friend or family member who is pregnant, a Maternity + Newborn session is a FABULOUS idea as a baby shower gift.
Here is one of my favorites of this yoga / yogini mama. Just look at the pure, unadulterated joy on her face. Love it!
I photographed this Denver Yoga Mamma back when she was pregnant with her first child, and I photographed her baby when he was 7 days old. For our second maternity session here, we did a yoga-themed one. And I’ll be photographing this little baby very soon, as he is due this month! It will be my 5th photo session w/Kamala, as I photographed her and her pottery about 8 years ago! I love being her “official family photographer” and can’t wait to meet her newest family member…any day now!
Denver Maternity and Yoga Mamma Photographer
Can I just brag on my clients a bit? They are sooooo sooo interesting. And kind, fun, and insanely photogenic! Northglenn Baby Photography
- Kamala, tell us a little bit about your and your family:
My name is Kamala and I live in Northglenn, Co with my husband and 2 sons, Zane and Xavier. I have a passion for making pottery, mostly functional ware, as well as practicing yoga. I also enjoy going on bike rides with my family and hiking. I love to travel and have been to many countries in the Middle East while teaching abroad in Bahrain. I would love to live in another country again and share that experience with my sons.
- You’ve had several photos sessions with Natascha Lee Studios – tell us about them?
I have had 5 photo sessions with Natascha and have to say that she is amazing; from maternity sessions with both my pregnancies, both of my newborns, and even my pottery. She never tires, goes out of her way to be creative with her shots and has an amazing perspective on possibilities she sees to capture the best moments. She is extremely patient and fun. She adds props and personal sacred/meaningful items to make the photos special.
- Why did you want professional photos of your baby (as opposed to “snapshots” you could take on your own)?
My heart always melts when I see cute newborn photos and I knew I wanted photos of that caliber taken of my own children. The photos I have taken on my own are nothing exciting and I don’t seem to have the “eye” for it. It takes someone special and talented to really be able to give you this gift. Natascha possesses this quality and demonstrates how important it really is to capture quality photos you can cherish forever.
- Was there anything you were nervous or worried about before the session?
I was worried about my babies not doing well or crying the whole time. Natascha has an amazing touch with newborns and knows just what they need to settle and pose : )
5. How did the actual photo session go?
The session went smoothly. I didn’t feel stressed and I felt like she really knew what to do and how to do it. My favorite part was seeing my baby dressed in a crocheted cocoon-like material all curled up and content.
How about the viewing session? – What did you think or feel when you saw your gallery of images?
The viewing sessions are always a tear-jerker. She puts the photos to music and takes you through the captured moments of the session. Viewing my little one like that really opens my heart and I feel the joy of being a mom.
8. Any advice to other families before their photo sessions?
Enjoy it and trust in Natascha to bring you the quality photos you are wanting. Come prepared with some personal items you may want to include in the photos that have meaning to you or baby. This adds special meaning to the portraits.
9.How did you feel about your the final images you selected?
I love looking at them as they remind me of how sweet and little my babies were and the times of having an just infant. This is important because it adds to the memories I have around my home.
BTW…..See that little curly blonde hair boy kissing his new brother? Click here to see a BTS (behind the scenes) image from his newborn shoot! Time flies!